Sugar Mountain reports a big Opening Day | Weather
SUGAR MOUNTAIN, NC - A foot of snow triggered by super storm Sandy piled up some history in the North Carolina mountains. Sugar Mountain opened today, and it's the earliest opening in the resorts history, by nearly a week.
There was a pretty good crowd when they opened two of the slopes Wednesday morning. 2 of 20 slopes are opened at Sugar Mountain, and with school systems out and classes canceled, that meant a lot of families could go skiing today.
Gunther Jochl runs Sugar Mountain, but never before on Halloween.
"We're skiing, can you believe it, it's like Christmas, unbelievable," Jochl told WBTV. "We have anywhere from about 9 to 12 inches of natural and we made a bunch of snow on that."
And with all the natural and man made snow, and favorable conditions, it means and a jump start of anywhere from one to three weeks for one of the area's biggest industries.
Hundreds came out for Opening Day, they had to by gas to get to the resort, many rented skis and boots from Sugar Mountain or any of several other ski shops, and they had to eat, so it's a positive sign for the local economy.
"It's fantastic, we've never skied in October, skied at Halloween, so, it's history for Sugar Mountain," Jochl added. "We're seeing some cold weather again next week that probably will allow us to make some more snow and build on this base, and we'd like to build on the base and stay open. Thanksgiving will be our first big holiday weekend and we'd like to have as much opened as possible."
Cataloochee in Maggie Valley also opened Wednesday, thanks to 8 inches of snow in that area. Crowds were also good at that resort.
Top Boone - Blowing Rock Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Investigators honored after elementary teacher busted, convicted in child porn ring
- Woman convicted on drug charges from 2011 case
- "Baker's Dozen" indicted on meth charges, more arrests likely
- "Music Millie": 80+-year-old woman teaching inmates in youth prison
- Man to be deported after serving time for sex offense
- Honoring veterans in Rowan and Cabarrus
- Rowan "tractor pulling diva" featured on Carolina Camera tonight
- Woman murdered, man turns himself in and draws heart in blood
- Tim Flock-Jocko Flocko, Coke 600, and can anyone beat JJ? Parker's Points!
- "Large scale" drug operation nets three arrests, drugs and cash seized
- Police looking for man who jumped counter at bank, took money from drawer
- Troopers: Former Statesville NAACP head, teacher's assistant killed in crash
- Woman arrested for using husband's info to apply for credit card, detectives say
- Police looking for two men who robbed Troutman bank
- Man faces 27 charges involving B&E's at City garage, investigators say